Wednesday, October 28, 2009

WP2: second post

After I conducted research for my comic, I was able to see it in a whole new light. Since my comic is an excerpt from a graphic novel, I decided that it would be wise to read the whole novel itself. After reading it, I got a lot of insight about the story as a whole, and what exactly it was trying to portray. The historical context of this novel is almost that of communist Russia under Stalin. The setting of a futuristic London under a dictatorship rule definitely changed the way I perceive this comic and how I am going to analyze it.

One of the biggest misconceptions I had with my comic was that the main character was some sort of vigilante. That he was more of a terrorist with anarchy on the brain. I couldn’t have been more far off. V (the main character) is more of a fighter of freedom. He is one who fights against the dictatorship, because he believes that the people should live in a world where they can speak freely and think for themselves.

I think that this is the perfect type of medium to fight out against oppression and tyranny. I believe that the written word is a great way to get across ones opinion to many different types of people. I think that he chose a comic book hero to do this for obvious reasons. I think people look up to comic book heroes. They embody ourselves in a way that we wish we could be. People will listen to the author’s ideas, when they are spoken through that of a hero.

When I first started to talk and think through this comic, I was thinking of the concept of killing an “idea” as killing an idea like communism. I couldn’t have been more wrong. It wasn’t about killing some type of tyrannical idea; it was more about promoting ideals that we as humans all share. It was about promoting that idea of freedom. That we cannot kill our undeniable rights that we as humans where given when we were born.

Another thing I have reexamined my comic another thing stood out to me, the way certain words where bolded and italicized. At first I really didn’t know what to think about this. I thought it was more of an emphasis on key words with no real background to them. Once I read the novel itself, I learned more about the relationship between these two characters. V thinks that this man is no more than a monster. These words are emphasized because he hates this man. The man in the comic has caused him much pain, and now he is exacting his revenge that he has sought out so long ago.

In the end I think that this comic is the final result of a struggle of vengeance and freedom. The main character has been wronged, and he is now exacting his revenge. He has also been oppressed by a tyrannical government and is a victim. He no longer wants to see others suffer the same fate that he has seen others and himself face.

Works cited:

"Communist Party of the Soviet Union"Oct 28. 20010 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_Party_of_the_Soviet_Union>

Moore, Alan, and David Lloyd.V for Vendetta.Us:Dc Comics, 1982

Italic




No comments:

Post a Comment