Wednesday, September 23, 2009


For my photograph I decided to choose one that was taken by Marion Post Walcott. The image depicts two boys fishing down on the bank of a bayou. It was take in Schriever Louisiana in 1940. The two boys are facing the bayou and not looking at the person taking the picture. I would have to guess that these boys are friends, maybe even brothers. The boys are probably in elementary school, and the title says that they are near a school. This makes me think that they boys have probably just got out of school and have started to have fun for the day.
The banks of the bayou are slopped and there are a lot of trees in the area. I think this place is probably a pretty quiet place. I think that this is a spot that these boys would regularly go there after their class to relax and fish. The boys do not have shoes on and are wearing old overalls, shirts and sun hats. This makes me think that they are probably not that well off. I think they live very simple lives. I think that they are probably not the well educated and are fairly simple. The boys probably live everyday without a care in the world. The dress attire reminds of Huck Fin, so I’d like to imagine that they are somewhat mischievous and like to have fun.
They are also fishing under a tree in the shade. This and the sun hat makes me think that it is hot outside and they are fishing in the shade to get away from the heat. I think the people who live there are a simple people. I think they live their lives day to day without a lot of worry. I also think they do a lot of fishing and use that to make a living. Whenever I think of the Deep South and Louisiana I think of swampland and wooden houses in the swamp. I also think of banjos and folk music. So I’d like to think that the people in this area like to listen to folk music and live in wooden cabin like houses.
I think the people spend a lot of time not only hunting and fishing for food, but also for recreation. I think the people of this are pretty relaxed. I’d have to think that they have strong values and daily routines and do not like to trail away from them. The scenery and lighting make me feel relaxed. The low lighting and calm water are settling. I also find fishing to be really relaxing. I like to fish myself so can relate to the kids in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment