Monday, November 30, 2009

wp3:pre writing 4


After listening to the song we listened to on Tuesday, I have been able to see my project in a whole different light. I never thought that things could be looked at in that kind of way. I had never heard music made that way, and I have never thought to look at art objects in the same type of way. After listening to the song, I started to think about how my object could be expanded, in what ways could my art project I was assigned be expanded upon. In other words how could I take my art object and rethink the way I look at it.

The first thing I thought about with my project is what it represents. To a lot of people it might look like some giant blob, but right off the bat I thought it looked like a giant boot. It had some characteristics to that of a boot, which made me think even more about how unique this object really is. When I did some expansion, and looked at it at other angles, it looked different in every angle. This was especially evident when I compared the two sides of the boot; one side looked more deformed than the other side.

This made me think of the possibility that it could in fact represent a rock. It has as certain textural quality to it which looks like a rock. Since it has that deformity to its structure, I look like it could be some sort of giant mountain that happened to be shrunk down to fit on campus. I also thought about why it would be located where it is. It is located towards the back side of the museum, and is right by a path. It is apparent that when the museum was looking for a place to put this object, they wanted people to see it.

Then I had to think of why one would want to look at this. It is necessarily aesthetically pleasing. I bet to most people it just looks like a giant rock, or piece of poop. Then I came up with a couple different ideas that could explain why this object is where it is. I first thought it could represent some sort of a journey. That it was there to represent the journey that we take when we are in college, and into life itself. This would help explain that it is right next to a path. It could also help explain its location being right out in the open for all to see. We can all relate to the sculpture, because we are all on some sort of journey. I also noticed that this object is on top of a hill. It is almost like it is on top of a pedestal. I think this is so that once again people will take a solid look at this object. It stands out from the flat ground and would have to have some sort of significance.

No comments:

Post a Comment