Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Wp3: pre writting 5

After researching information on the art object, Ouranos, by William Tucker, I learned a lot of new information that I hadn’t known in the first place. I learned about the meaning of the word Ouranos. I learned that it was actually named after an ancient Greek God. I learned about its background, and its significance. Apparently Ouranos was the first ruler of the universe.

I also learned that the object is in fact supposed to be a boot. So in the end this would confirm my first idea that it supposed to be a boot. The new information about the legend of Ouranos has made me think about the sculpture in a different way. If Ouranos was supposed to be a god, and supposed to be the ruler of the Universe, I would imagine time to be very big and very powerful. I think this could be represented in the large scale of the boot. I think that this boot could be a representation of Ouranos’ foot.

I think that since Ouranos would be big because he is a god, the boot could be just a small representation of his whole power, and mass. I also learned that he is supposed to be the son, and husband of the god of the earth. So this makes me some sense to why it would be located outside. The god’s ties to the earth make it a perfect choice for the sculpture to be placed outside, amongst the earth.

The sculpture’s ties with a god of the universe explain its placement on campus. Since this god was extremely significant, it makes sense that it is in a place that everyone can see. It is by a path, so it is apparent that the people who run the museum wanted people to see it. It also makes sense now why the sculpture is almost put on a pedestal. This is once again because of the ties to the god of the universe.

I also learned that the William Tucker also made 2 other sculptures to go with Ouranos. In fact, two other statues that where made with this statue where also made out of bronze. I really don’t know what to think of this. It really takes away from my first idea of the baby shoes. I don’t think that he wanted make that comparison about memories, and preserving those memories. After this research, I have some new ideas to why this could be on campus. One of those would have to be that the sky is the limit. I think this because if this statue is representative of the god of the universe, I think its significance on campus would be that you can do anything you set your mind to. That there is no limit to your potential, and maybe someday you can be a very important and significant figure in the world.

Works cited:

"Ouranos" 1 Dec. 2009<http://library.thinkquest.org/17709/people/ouranos.htm>

Brenson, Michael. "ART WILLIAM TUCKER AND HIS GREEK TITANS." 1987. The New York Times. < http://www.nytimes.com/1987/10/02/arts/art-william-tucker-and-his-greek-titans.html>

No comments:

Post a Comment